**Trigger Warning: Facing ACEs can bring up memories that have been buried since youth. The questions, answers, or both can be difficult to process alone. Thankfully, you're not. Once you've completed the quiz, please advise if you'd like additional support in the Comments/Questions section and I'll reach back.**
According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), the rougher your childhood, the higher your Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) score and potential risk for later health problems and a shorter lifespan.
Check the boxes for the questions/ACEs you answer "Yes" to/identify with. *Remember, every box you check counts as one (1) ACE.*
Prior to your 18th birthday:
1. Did a parent or other adult in the household often or very often…swear at you, insult you, put you down, or humiliate you? or Act in a way that made you afraid that you might be physically hurt?
2. Did a parent or other adult in the household often or very often…push, grab, slap, or throw something at you? or Ever hit you so hard that you had marks or were injured?
3. Did an adult or person at least 5 years older than you ever…touch or fondle you or have you touch their body in a sexual way? or Attempt or actually have oral, anal, or vaginal intercourse with you?
4. Did you often or very often feel that…no one in your family loved you or thought you were important or special? or Your family didn’t look out for each other, feel close to each other, or support each other?
5. Did you often or very often feel that…you didn’t have enough to eat, had to wear dirty clothes, and had no one to protect you? or Your parents were too drunk or high to take care of you or take you to the doctor if you needed it?
6. Were your parents ever separated or divorced?
7. Was your mother or stepmother: Often or very often pushed, grabbed, slapped, or had something thrown at her? or Sometimes, often, or very often kicked, bitten, hit with a fist, or hit with something hard? or Ever repeatedly hit over at least a few minutes or threatened with a gun or knife?
8. Did you live with anyone who was a problem drinker or alcoholic, or who used street drugs?
9. Was a household member depressed or mentally ill, or did a household member attempt suicide?
10. Did a household member go to prison?
Are you willing to be open & honest about your opinions & those from other guests?
Guests will be expected to share opinions about the research and resiliency skills they discovered and attempted